– Vietnam Veterans of America motto
In January 1978, a group of fifteen Vietnam veteran advocates got together in Washington, D.C., and began the organization that became Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA). VVA today is the only congressionally chartered national Vietnam Veterans service organization. Over the years, VVA has been the primary organization insisting that the U.S. Government hold up its obligation to all veterans.
The VVA is a critical support service for our returning veterans. VVA became a membership organization in 1979 and set to work on the issues it remains committed to today:
- Improving the general welfare and hospital care of all veterans, especially homeless and disabled veterans
- Assisting veterans suffering from Post-traumatic Stress Disorder and other disabilities
- Working closely with veterans of other conflicts
- Taking the lead on women and minority veterans’ issues